5 hrs 29 mins
One Happy Woman's Note:
Once again, more of a method than a strict recipe. Comfort food with a little kick to it. I was going to make chile and this is what evolved - we liked it even better. And don't let the dried beans throw you - put them on the stove first, bring to a boil, let sit, and assemble the other ingredients while they stand. The pre-cooking and draining removes the volatile sugars that cause gas. You may also soak the beans overnight, drain the water then add the beans to the slow cooker.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried white beans (I use Mayocaba or Peruvian white beans)
- 1 onion, large, chopped
- 1 cup anaheim chili, roughly chopped (canned or fresh roasted, peeled and seeded)
- 4 chicken breast halves (frozen is fine, just throw them in the pot) or 4 chicken thighs (frozen is fine, just throw them in the pot)
- 1 pint chicken stock (low sodium)
- 1 pint vegetable stock (low sodium)
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers, chopped (frozen, mixed red, yellow and green peppers)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1Cover the beans with water, bring to a boil, cover, turn off the heat and let stand one hour.
- 2Drain the beans and add to crock pot.
- 3Add the rest of the ingredients, add enough water to just cover everything. Cover the pot, turn to high and walk away.
- 4Cook about 5 hours on high, or longer on low, depending on your beans and how firm you like them.
- 5Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks.
- 6Serve topped with sour cream, grated cheese and/or chopped avocado.
- 7Note: I also add 1-2 teaspoons of a seasoning I buy in the local Mexican market called "Sal/Chile/Limon" - you could just add lemon juice, salt and more chile powder, lemon pepper, if you like - it's not essential.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot or Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken White Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.0 mg
- Sodium 97.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: