Recipe by Olha
This is a great dish for weekends in the country, Friday night dinners or evenings when you have a house full of teenage boys who can't get enough of the rich, smoky sauce.
Top Review by CrinV
This was great. We served this last night at a church dinner. I cooked 35lbs of pork shoulder. I did one in the crockpot on high it took six hours for a whole shoulder. The other four I did in the oven at 300 degrees. The took only about 5 hours. I did add some water to the sauce and covered them with foil. I found that the sauce came out much nicer in the ones in the oven. The sauce in the crock pot was quite watery, whereas the others carmalized nicely and stayed somewhat thicker. Excellent recipie. We got rave reviews. The flavour of the sauce was great! Thanks Olga Drozd. BTW we served this with Red Green Slaw for Pulled pork Sandwichs (#19623)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 cup tomato based chili sauce (such as Heinz 57 chili sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat, about
- kaiser rolls or onion hamburger buns, halved and warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add garlic, chili powder and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
- Place pork in slow cooker stoneware and pour sauce over.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 6 hours, until pork is falling apart.
- Transfer pork to a cutting board and pull the meat apart in shreds, using two forks.
- Return to sauce and keep warm.
- When ready to serve, spoon shredded pork and sauce over warm buns.
- MAKE AHEAD: This dish can be partially prepared the night before it is cooked.
- Complete Step 1.
- Cover and refrigerate sauce overnight.
- The next morning, continue cooking as directed.
- The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes J Finlayson.