Recipe by KDub
Steel cut oats and your favourite dried fruits make for a delicious breakfast that's ready and waiting for you when you roll into the kitchen for breakfast. There's absolutely no need to add any sugar to the oatmeal, as the sugars in the fruit take care of that for you. Use any combination of fruit you have on hand; I've used apples, prunes, dates, apricots, cranberries, raisins, cranberries, strawberries, and pineapple and all are great but my favourites are apple/raisin, and dates all by themselves. From the manual that came with a Cuisinart slow cooker.
Top Review by andiaqua
Tasty, simple and thoroughly satisfying. I used 4 cups of water and it was cooked to perfection in exactly 3 hours :). The cranberries add a yummy sweetness to it and a nice cinnamon flavor throughout. Will make again with different fruit next time. I just love steel cut oats!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup dried fruit, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray slow cooker insert lightly with cooking spray.
- Measure oats, water, salt, and cinnamon into pot; stir to combine.
- Stir in dried fruit.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours (use the timer function; otherwise, you might have to get up early to turn the slow cooker on).
- Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave.