Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs 30 mins
The original recipe was part of a scout troop International food project for one of the badges they were working on and submitted by one of the girls in our troop. However it has been modified for the crock pot, plus the stewing beef was replaced with ground beef.
- Brown ground beef in skillet.
- Place browned beef in crock pot.
- Add onion to skillet and saute until it is tender (about 5 minutes).
- In a bowl mix worcestershire sauce, ketchup, and vinegar, mustard and salt.
- Add this mixture to meat with one cup of water.
- Stir and cover.
- Cook for 4 hours low.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook for 1 hour more on low.
- Blend flour with remaining 1/2 cup of cool water and add to meat mixture.
- Stir until thickened.
- Serve over noodles.
This was a nice comfort food meal. My husband really liked it, I thought it was a little too sweet. Next time I will leave out or cut back on the brown sugar. Made as directed, but used ground turkey as I don't eat beef.
This was really good. My family liked it and they don't care for casserole-type dishes. It's a bit bland, but not in a bad way. Used only one onion, but still was good. Nice sweet flavor along with the beef (I used ground sirloin). Inexpensive way to feed a crowd.
I will be making this again.
I made this recipe on 10/25/09 for the " Think Pink 2009 " Breast Cancer Awareness event, and as part of mine and SO's dinner.Since there was just the two of us, everything but the ground beef was cut in half. Since no egg noodles were on hand, I used spaghetti noodles and they worked just fine. The taste wasn't as spicy as we liked, but it was a nice change of pace from what we are used to. " Keep Smiling :) "