Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is an excellent way to cook new potatoes, as they cook slowly, almost in their own juices, in a curry-flavored sauce. This dish goes well with grilled meat, poultry or fish. If you're cooking for vegetarians, serve it as a main course along with a bowl of dal and green vegetable. It also makes a delicious summer meal, accompanied by a garden salad.
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb tiny new potatoes, about 10 new potatoes (see Tip)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, preferably madras
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- In a skillet, heat butter or oil over medium-high heat.
- Add potatoes and cook just until they begin to brown.
- Transfer to slow cooker stoneware.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened.
- Add garlic, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add water or stock, bring to a boil and pour over potatoes.
- Cover and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
- TIP: Leave the skins on potatoes, scrub thoroughly and dry on paper towels.
- Cut in half any that are larger than 1 inch in diameter.
- The 150 Best Slow Cooker recipes.
This was DELICIOUS. Only comment--it served two perfectly. I will double the recipe next time. I used an OSO sweet onion, and served it over half white/half brown rice. It was stupendous, healthy, and filling.
This was a nice recipe. I used some manner of healthy request chicken broth, added some stewing beef, and that was about all I changed. Even after stirring well, all the good stuff sunk to the bottom and I didn't realize it until we had already eaten. My husband was sure to get some with his seconds. :) Not sure what I did wrong.