Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
On a chilly day this one pot meal will warm you through. I love my crock pot--being a busy mom and all, and this is a great version of the regular dish. This will take 6 to 11 hours depending on the heat setting you use.
Top Review by ginan51
Easy and delicious. Started it before I went to bed and cooked it on low overnight. Added cabbage in the morning and turned the crockpot up to high. It was ready to eat when I came home from church. Meat was tender and vegetables were delicious. Both my mom and I loved it. I used oregano because I did not have any rosemary and fennel seed in place of dill seed. I will definitely make this again.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 teaspoons dried dill seed
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, onion, and garlic.
- Trim the fat from the brisket and if necessary, trim the brisket to fit into the slow cooker. (Do not use the seasoning package if one comes with the brisket). Place the brisket on top of the vegetables; sprinkle with dill seed, rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour the broth over the brisket.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 11 to 12 hours or on high for 51/2 to 6 hours.
- If using low setting, turn cooker to high and add the cabbage wedges; cover and cook for 30 to 60 minutes more or until the cabbage is tender.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board and thinly slice the meat across the grain. Place meat slices on a serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the serving platter and serve.