Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
An easy method to create a nice savory chutney for roast pork toppings and for other applications where chutney is called for. It will store nicely in the refrigerator for some time. The original recipe came from Joanna White's "Slow Cooking."
- 2 1⁄2 lbs nectarines (peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons prepared ginger (from a jar)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup almonds (slivered, toasted)
- Place the following in the crock pot: nectarines, brown sugar, vinegar, ginger, salt, onion, mustard, cinnamon, cloves.
- Stir and, on the low setting, allow to cook for 4 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Allow chutney to cool and then add the almonds and refrigerate.
- This is a nice condiment/topping for baked pork roast or even on a small beef steak.
- This chutney can be used as a base for Henry Bain Sauce.