Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
NC Pulled Pork, vinegar based. savour-fare.com/2009/03/19/carolina-barbecue-pulled-pork
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (4 -6 lb) pork butt or 1 (4 -6 lb) shoulder roast
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place onions in crock pot. Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast in crock pot.
- Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well. Drizzle about 1/3 of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture. Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours. Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass). Serve plain or as sandwiches.
- **4 hours on high.
For the past 20 years, Smithfield's BBQ has been my favorite. I worked at the Wilmington, NC location as a teen, and since then, no other BBQ has come close. That is, until I made this recipe. Smithfield's will be first in my heart for nostalgic reasons, but now I can make a pulled pork at home that makes me just as happy. Thank you for posting this recipe!
This recipe gave me exactly what I was hoping for! Tender pulled pork that was not cooked in bbq sauce. It was tender and fell apart. I did cook the pork butt roast on low for about 7 hours and it was not ready, so I gave it a couple more hours on low and we ate it the next night. Worth the wait! It was perfect. I only used about half of the remaining vinegar mix when the pork was done because I was unsure of my kids liking it and it was thumbs up for all 3 kids. I made the Neely's BBQ sauce recipe to go along with it.
Fabulous recipe! I did add a Tbs of Tang to the rub and cut the cider vinegar down to 1/2 cup.
I was running short of time so I put my crockpot on high and cooked for 4 hours.(This will vary with crockpots, mine cooks fairly fast) I served this with " Creamy Cole Slaw" and Kaisher Buns and Lays Potato chips. Thanks for sharing your recipe! It's a keeper for sure :)