Recipe by mersaydees
This is based on a recipe from Sunset's Crockery Cook Book. Its introduction says, "The cooking of Hungary provides the inspiration for this first-course vegetable soup, rich with the color, flavor, and aroma of paprika."
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Totally hit the spot! I was in a hurry, so I cooked it on the stove. I topped my serving with a little shredded cheddar cheese. It was very satisfying, easy and healthy. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or pressed)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (pear-shaped)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine mushrooms, garlic, and onion in a 3-quart electric slow cooker.
- Sprinkle paprika over mushroom mixture.
- Cut up tomatoes and add them along with their liquid to the pot.
- Add broth, water, barley, and vinegar to cooker.
- Cover and cook at low setting until barley is very tender (6 to 7 hours).
- Before serving, stir parsley into soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.