Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I have always heard of folks using a cola when basting a ham, but never a citrus drink. It's flavorful and the sugar in it works well, giving a sweet delicious glaze that will make your ham shine. The weight and size of the ham does not have to be 7 lbs. This is a rather large ham, so feel free to use a smaller or larger ham, whatever you will need.
- 1 (12 ounce) can Mountain Dew soda, citrus soda
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon cherry juice
- 1 (7 lb) spiral cut ham
- Place the ham in the crock pot.
- Pour the Mountain Dew onto the ham.
- Spread the pineapple over the ham's surface with the juice.
- Stud the ham with as many cherries as desired and add the juice.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours based on the size of the ham.
- Baste the ham occasionally.
This was a great recipe. The ham came out so succulent. 7lbs was way to big for my crock pot, so shaved it down to 4lbs. Filled the crock pot with mountain dew and dumped all the cherries on top of the meat and poured half the cherry juice into the mixture. Cooked on low for about 8 hours and then drained the juices but garnished the meat with the cherries. My girlfriend comes from a big Italian family and they take holiday cooking very seriously, so she was a bit skeptical when I told her I was going to try this recipe. However she was completely blown away by the results. The meat maintained it's moisture for several days and even after being microwaved. Thanks for the great recipe!
What a suprise, my husband loved it. We love pineapple and ham to start with, but what great flavor and it was very tender. A keeper!
I made this recipe for Christmas. The only thing I did different was cook it in the oven for 3 hours, the ham did not fit in my crock pot.