Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Cardamom and cinnamon unite with a variety of spices to produce a spicy, yet subtly sweet taste reminiscent of many Moroccan dishes. Serve over rice or couscous.
- 9.85 ml cooking oil
- 473.18 ml thinly sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml finely grated gingerroot
- 2.46 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken thighs, halved
- 118.29 ml dry white wine or 118.29 ml chicken broth
- 29.58 ml honey
- 4 inch cinnamon sticks
- 6 green cardamoms, bruised or 1.23 ml ground cardamom
- 0.25 ml salt
- 59.14 ml orange juice
- 9.85 ml cornstarch
- 44.37 ml slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium. Add onions garlic and gingerroot. Cook fo 5 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened and starting to brown.
- Add chili powder, cardamom and cumin. Heat and stir for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Transfer to 3 1/2 quart crock pot.
- Add chicken, white wine or broth, honey, cinnamon stick, and salt. Stir. Cook, covered, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir orange juice into cornstarch in small bowl. Add to crock pot. Stir. Cook, covered, on high for about 15 minutes until boiling and thickened. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and cardamom pods.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Tip: To bruise cardamom, pounds pods with mallet or press with flat side of a wide knife to "bruise," or crack them open slightly.