Recipe by Olha
Serve warm mincemeat over ice cream, or use it to make mincemeat pie and muffins. Excellent apple choices for this recipe include Jonathan, Rome, and Golden delicious.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless beef chuck or 3⁄4 lb beef round rump roast
- 2 lbs cooking apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups golden raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup diced candied citron peel
- 1⁄3 cup diced mixed candied fruit, and peels
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim fat from meat; chop meat.
- In a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker combine chopped meat, apples, raisins, currants, citron, candied fruits and peels, tapioca, and butter.
- Add sugar, apple juice, sherry, brandy, molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Cover, cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Skim off fat.
- Divide mincemeat into 1-,2-, or 4-cup portions.
- Use immediately.
- (Or place in freezer containers, seal, and label. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw frozen mincemeat in the refrigerator overnight before using.) Makes: about 8 cups Slow Cooker: 3 1/2 to 5-quart 1/2 cup serving: 298 cal.
- BHG Slow Cooker Recipes.