Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Healthy veggie combo using spagetti squash A healthy combo I put toghther with what was on hand and what I was hungry for.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, diced fine
- 1 cup corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 portabella mushroom cap, diced
- 2 -3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon McCormick's Montreal low-sodium steak seasoning
- Layer in the crockpot:.
- 1/2 of the beans, corn, jalapenos,tomatoes.
- 1/4 of the grains1/4 of the grill seasoning.
- 1/2 of the squash, mushrooms, onions, salsa.
- Continue layering till done.
- Gently pour broth around the edges till you see it coming up the side.
- Cook on high for 4 - 5 hours, low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Add other vegetables.
- Add a layer of soy cheese.
- Add southwestern seasoning instead of grill seasoning.
LIked this a lot as a finished product, although it didn't smell very appetizing while it was cooking. I used frozen spaghetti squash from last Fall's harvest, which I squeezed really well to get out the water -- I am thinking next time I would dump in as is and leave out the veggie broth. Also added about 1/2 cup of TVP instead of the mushroom, since I was trying to use it up, and grated low fat cheddar cheese on top after it was dished out for serving. Thanks for the interesting healthy and easy dish!