Recipe by 3KillerBs
Being without a kitchen while we remodel I'm having to get creative about finding/inventing new tastes from my crock pot. This is the most successful invention so far. The kids loved it hot and then ate the leftovers for lunches so fast I hardly got any. LOL I used a 6qt, oval crock pot and 4lbs of meat to feed my large family. If you want to halve the recipe you're on your own about how to cook it because I'm sure it would burn or dry out in a 6qt oval.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was great!! Since it is just me and my DH (DS too little to eat this) I had to scale back. I used 1 lb ground sirloin, about 1/3 of an onion, 1 egg, 1/2 cup each milk and oatmeal, 1/2 pckg taco seasoning, 1/3 tsp cumin and about 1 cup of salsa. I didn't measure the cheese, just used enough to cover the top. I put it in a oval crockpot as directed and cooked on high for 3 hours and then on low for 2 hours. It was done before my DH got home so I switched to the "keep warm" setting for about an hour and a 1/2. It was not dry at all!! This was so good we ate in trotillas with sourcream and additional cheese as well as with tortilla chips. Will be making this again! Made for Spring 2008 PAC.
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes taco seasoning mix (the size intended to make tacos from one pound of ground meat)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) jarmedium salsa (hotter if you prefer it that way)
- 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese or 8 ounces cheddar cheese or 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix everything except the salsa and the cheese together, blending very well.
- Put into a 6qt, oval crock pot. Form an oval donut shape that does not touch the outer walls and has a hollow in the middle the size of a small woman's fist all the way to the bottom.
- Pour the salsa over the meat. Cook on high for 3 hours then turn down to low to finish for another 4-5 hours. Open the pot, top the meat with the shredded cheese, cover, and cook on low another half hour.
- Serve either nacho style over corn chips or wrapped in flour tortillas. I recommend a salad and the usual taco fixings on the side.