Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Excellent Mexican Chili with chocloate! It's delicious!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 -4 cloves (I only add these sometimes)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat combine ground beef, garlic, celery and onions. Cook until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink. Add Chilli powder, oregano, an cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes (with juice) kidney beans, cocoa, sugar, cloves, vinegar and pepper, stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until hot and bubbling. Add green pepper and stir to combine. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe was good and it makes a lot. It also reheats well. We found it to be very bland however, and I recommend increasing the salt and at least doubling the spices and perhaps adding some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
This tastes exactly like my mother's recipe. My husband loved it. The leftovers freeze beautifully.
The flavor of this is just wonderful.