Recipe by shelley13
Excellent Mexican Chili with chocloate! It's delicious!
Top Review by *****Sandy
This recipe was good and it makes a lot. It also reheats well. We found it to be very bland however, and I recommend increasing the salt and at least doubling the spices and perhaps adding some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 -4 cloves (I only add these sometimes)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat combine ground beef, garlic, celery and onions. Cook until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink. Add Chilli powder, oregano, an cayenne; cook 1 minute longer. With a slotted spoon, transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes (with juice) kidney beans, cocoa, sugar, cloves, vinegar and pepper, stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours until hot and bubbling. Add green pepper and stir to combine. Cover and cook 20-25 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.