This recipe is from the 2004 cookbook, "Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly". The ideal slow-cooker size for this recipe is 4 or 5 quarts. >>*Please note when using older recipes that crockpots used to cook at much lower temperatures than newer ones. If you bought a crockpot within the last ten years, it will cook hotter and need less cooking time.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 16 ounces kidney beans, undrained
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (1 ounce) envelopereduced sodium taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups instant rice, uncooked
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef and onion in nonstick skillet.
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, except rice and cheese.
- Cook on low for 4-8 hours.
- Stir in rice, cover, and cook until tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted.