Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love menudo but I don't care for pig's feet so I have used the following recipe for quite a few years. Easiest method is to use a package of "Menudo Mix" which can be found in the hispanic aisle of most grocery stores. In case you rather use the individual spices, I am including those starting with oregano. This recipe can also be cooked on the stove top by simmering on low for 5-6 hours.
- 1 lb of honeycomb tripe, rinsed and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (more or less according to taste, not part of menudo spice mix)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon crushed red chili pepper
- 8 -10 cups water or 8 -10 cups beef stock
- Add tripe, stew meat, hominy, spices together in crock pot.
- Cover with water or beef stock.
- Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.