Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Members of the squash family get together in this spicy stew and couscous entrée. A wonderful aroma.
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 1 butternut squash, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
FOR THE COUSCOUS
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups couscous
- Sprinkle the cubed eggplant with salt and let drain in a colander for 20 minutes; rinse, pat dry, and add to slow cooker.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients except broth, salt, and couscous in the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- In a saucepan, combine the broth and salt, and bring to a boil; stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat.
- Let the couscous sit for 5 minutes; then fluff with a fork, and serve with stew over the top. Serves 6.
- TIP: While a little more expensive, precut squash is a real time saver.
- 200 Slow Cooker Recipes.