Recipe by Debbb
I use ground chicken in this recipe with AMAZING results. The meatballs are very tender & flavourful! For a quick weeknight meal, prepare meatballs & sauce the night before. Refrigerate overnight & turn the crock pot on in the morning.
Top Review by annlouise
Easy to make, but the meat itself was a tad bland. Could have used maybe 1t salt instead of 1/2. I didn't have tomato juice, so I used the juice of a fresh tomato, and about 1/4c apple juice (for acidity and taste I figured that would work). I also used fresh ginger (about 1T sliced) which added a neat kick.
- 2 lbs ground beef or 2 lbs ground chicken
- 2 eggs, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (398 ml) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine ground meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic& paprika in a large bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly blended, using hands, if necessary.
- Form into balls- about one inch for appetizers or larger for main course.
- Bake meatballs on baking sheet in oven for 20 minutes.
- Drain meatballs& transfer to crock pot.
- Combine ketchup, tomato juice, cranberry sauce, onion, sugar& ginger.
- Mix well and pour over meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.