Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is from about.com's Busycook, Linda Larsen of Minnesota. I make it often and love it for the flavor, ease in preparation, and because my family will eat it and ask for seconds. You can use your own homemade frozen meatballs or grab a bag at the grocery store (test before you add salt - some commercial meatballs are really salty!)
- 1 lb frozen meatballs (homemade or purchased)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cubed (I leave skins on)
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 16 ounces frozen lima beans
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 (15 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours.
Really enjoyed this & boy it makes a ton. Will freeze & enjoy it again.
It's a 5-star recipe after these changes to suit our tastes! Used a can of stewed tomatoes, chopped, instead of the diced tomatoes. Then it needs no sugar. Only 1 can beef broth and no tomato paste; then it's not so soupy. I thickened it with beurre manie. Did not use lima beans. Or basil. It was SOOO Good! Thanks for posting. . . . Janet
This was a great stew. It is a huge recipe, my crock pot was filled to the top and I skipped the lima beans and some of the liquid. It is more a soup than a stew. Next time I will cut back on the liquid a little more. But great flavor, a keeper.