Prep 30 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Meatball stew in a simple and delicious golden mushroom sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed golden mushroom soup
- Mix eggs with dried onion, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper.
- Blend meat in a and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Form meat mixture into meatballs about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter; brown on all sides in hot oil.
- While meatballs are browning, place the potatoes, carrots, and celery in a crock pot (3-1/2 quart or larger); using a slotted spoon or spatula, place browned meatballs on the vegetables.
- Quickly brown the onions and add to the crock pot.
- Pour soup over all; cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Taste and adjust seasonings before serving.
Loved it but did make a couple of changes. Used white potatoes since I didn't have red and added Grill Creations Steak Seasoning. Will be doing this one often. Jinny
We had this tonight for dinner. We also used the frozen meatballs. It was very tasty and a nice switch from the normal "stew". I did add a package of brown gravy mix for a bit of a more intense flavor. This was a hit with our family as well. If my husband wants to take the leftovers for lunch the next day, I know it was good!
I made this recipe for the Bargain Basement game and it was a hit with my family. I used frozen meatballs instead of making my own but otherwise made it as posted. I'm already planning to take leftovers for lunch tomorrow.