Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This make ahead recipe is perfect for that holiday dinner!
- 5 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 15 medium)
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender.
- Mash until there are no lumps.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg whites; blend well.
- Cool slightly, place in removable liner of your crock pot and place in the refrigerator.
- Take out of refrigerator about 3 1/2 hours before you plan to serve them.
- Place in crockpot and dot with butter.
- Cook on LOW for 3 hours, stirring once or twice.
- They can be held an additional 30 minutes or more.
I have been making mashed potatos for 40 years. This recipe tweaked it to perfection. i left out the onion powder but sauteed onions and transferred half of potatoes to second crockpot and put onions in those. Both were excellent and the one with the onions went so quickly at Thanksgiving that i got 2 spoonfuls. The sour cream and eggs were the only ingredients i had not used in mashed or twice baked before. This recipe was put in the keeper book and my son has taken a copy back to Washington so he can make them
I made this recipe last year for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit! I definitely plan to make it again this year. I made it the night before and it was nice to have one less thing to fuss with on the busy day. I also appreciated having one less side dish in the oven or on the stove.
I prepared this recipe last Sunday and plan to prepare it for Thanksgiving dinner. It was a big hit with all and not a bite left.