Recipe by Feast Your Eyes!
Bring your slow-cooker up to speed with this chunky, intensely flavored tomato sauce that is a fabulous whiff of Southern Italy. It's a little salty (from the kalamata olives), spicy (from the hot red peppers and cayenne pepper), quite fragrant (with large amounts of fresh garlic and ripe tomatoes), and surprisingly different (with the addition of shrimp). The slow-simmer cooking process allows each ingredient's flavor to burst through. This is a marinara sauce to choose when you want to bring the traditional flavor of Italy to your dining table. NOTE: This recipe will make 2 meals at once - 1 for now AND 1 for later.
- 3 (28 ounce) cans crushed plum tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and devained
- 1 lb linguine, piccole cooked to al dente (long, thin pasta)
- italian crusty bread, for dipping in the sauce
- grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or romano cheese, for passing
Directions See How It's Made
- In crock-pot (4-6 quart) combine the first fourteen (14) ingredients; give a good stir.
- Cover and cook: LOW HEAT SETTING - 8 to 10 hours or HIGH HEAT SETTING - 4 to 5 hours.
- When finished cooking, remove half of the marinara sauce (approximatel 5 1/2 cups) and refrigerate (up to 3 days) or freeze (up to 3 months).
- If set to LOW HEAT, turn the crock-pot up to HIGH HEAT setting. Add the shrimp; stir into the marinara sauce. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until shrimp are heated through.
- In a warm serving bowl, place the cooked and drained pasta, add the sauce, and toss thoroughly. Serve with a simple leafy green salad dressed with oil and vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Now, sit down to a delicious and authentic Italian meal. Pass the red wine, crusty italian bread and grated cheese around the table - Stand back and wait for the cheers!