Recipe by Tish
For an elegant dessert, place each pear upright on a pretty dessert plate. Spoon the sauce around the pear, and sprinkle with chopped toasted nuts or coconut. Spoon a big dollop of soft whipped cream alongside the pear, and garnish the plate with a twisted orange slice
Top Review by richsaralex
Lovely, simple recipe with wonderful flavours. I am making this for the second time tonight, as it is a family favourite. The sauce is VERY rich, but this can be tempered with cream. I have only tried making it with maple syrup, but I will say that my pears did go the lovely golden colour as in the picture (I did spoon the sauce over them several times during cooking though).
- 6 pears
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel pears.
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems attached.
- Place pears upright in slow cooker.
- Mix remaining ingredients except cornstarch and orange juice; pour over pears.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender.
- Remove pears from cooker; place upright in serving dish or individual dessert dishes.
- Mix cornstarch and orange juice; stir into sauce in cooker.
- Cover and cook on high heat setting about 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Spoon sauce over pears.
- **Use 1/4 cup honey instead of the maple syrup for a change of pace.