This is like a poor man's maple glazed ham. We love the spiral sliced maple/honey glazed hams, but they are soooo expensive. This is a great way to make one without spending a fortune.
- Put ham into crock pot (make sure it fits!) Put syrup, applesauce and cinnamon into a measuring cup and whisk them together to form a glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the ham in the crock pot.
- Turn the crock pot on high for 1 hour to seal in heat.
- Turn down to low after first hour and cook for 4 more hours.
- When done take out, slice and enjoy!
This is an excellent method for cooking a 1/2 ham...even spiral cut. Based on the only review at the time (the reviewer had also used a spiral cut ham) I decided to try with my spiral cut 10 lb ham. I placed the ham face down in the Crock Pot and mixed the same proportions of other ingredients listed and for the same length of time listed. I did not use the glazing packet because the taste if the ham was excellent without it. Definitely a "keeper" with a regular smoked ham or spiral cut. We served 8 people (including turkey and all the trimmings) and still had a mountain of leftovers. The taste is holiday spiced, nice and somewhat sweet without being overboard. I shall continue to use this method. Many, many thanks for posting.
My super market had spiral cut hams on sale (half off) and it came with a honey glaze mix. Cooked according to your directions and I must say it came out very moist and flavorful. Thanks for the post I would have never thought of cooking a ham in a crock pot! Ham 'n cheese sammies and ham bone and navy beans are coming ;>)