Recipe by Sue Lau
Has a fruity but nicely Asian sauce that is poured over the potatoes when they get done. Not your everyday stuff.
Top Review by Bergy
These sweet potatoes are excellent. I have just started using sweet potatoes as a regular veggie instead of potatoes and enjoy them very much. I have trouble getting lemon grass so had to omit this and although nowhere like it I used a squeeze of lemon. Also Tamarind paste was missing from my cupboard and as I am familiar with the flavor I substituted a very well aged spoon of chutney (l996) and the sweetpotatoes were wonderful There was a tang to the flavor from the zest of lemon and the 1/2 tsp of cayenne. They were golden and complimented the colours of the broccoli and cauliflower on my plate. The meat was a plain seasoned grilled porkchop Great Meal thanks SueL
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer leaves removed, and split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 pinch ground red pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ingredients into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 1/2-5 hours or until potatoes are nice and tender.
- Remove lemongrass pieces and discard.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove potatoes and keep warm; pour liquid from crock pot into a saute pan and reduce until it gets thick and syrupy, then pour over potatoes; serve.