Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
The outcome of this recipe is shredded meat that you can use in place of regular ground beef taco meat. This is a really good Mexican recipe that I got from a friend. I usually serve it shredded as burritos. I've also used chicken in place of the beef and it turned out really good.
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced green chili peppers or 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup hot pepper sauce (adjust for your tastes)
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides in oil in skillet (optional).
- Place in slow cooker.
- Mix together remaining ingredients except water, and spoon over meat.
- Pour water down along the sides of the crock pot (so as not to wash off the topping) until roast is 1/3 covered.
- Cook on high 6 hours.
- Reduce to low 2-4 hours, until meat falls apart.
- Thicken sauce with flour if you like.
- Serve in tacos, burritos, or your favorite Mexican dish.
WOW. This was absolutely terrific. used a blade roast and also just 1/4 cup hot sauce. Interestingly it seemed wildly hot as i tasted when it had cooked 6 hours but actually the heat level when shredded was lower. Still a good bite though. Will be saving the leftovers in freezer bags to use for burritos, tacos etc. Great recipe. Pic to follow bc i ate my dinner so fast :)
Great recipe! We love Mexican and this meat can be used in so many different ways. I had to tame the heat a little though, too spicy for my little ones. I used only 1/4 cup hot sauce and it still tastes great. Thanks!