Recipe by beckerd
The outcome of this recipe is shredded meat that you can use in place of regular ground beef taco meat. This is a really good Mexican recipe that I got from a friend. I usually serve it shredded as burritos. I've also used chicken in place of the beef and it turned out really good.
Top Review by MarraMamba
WOW. This was absolutely terrific. used a blade roast and also just 1/4 cup hot sauce. Interestingly it seemed wildly hot as i tasted when it had cooked 6 hours but actually the heat level when shredded was lower. Still a good bite though. Will be saving the leftovers in freezer bags to use for burritos, tacos etc. Great recipe. Pic to follow bc i ate my dinner so fast :)
- 4 lbs chuck roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced green chili peppers or 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, undrained
- 3⁄4 cup hot pepper sauce (adjust for your tastes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Sear on all sides in oil in skillet (optional).
- Place in slow cooker.
- Mix together remaining ingredients except water, and spoon over meat.
- Pour water down along the sides of the crock pot (so as not to wash off the topping) until roast is 1/3 covered.
- Cook on high 6 hours.
- Reduce to low 2-4 hours, until meat falls apart.
- Thicken sauce with flour if you like.
- Serve in tacos, burritos, or your favorite Mexican dish.