Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a lighter version of macaroni and cheese with a creamy consistency. This could be made lower fat using light Velveeta. *Note* If you don't like it real thick, you can decrease the cooking time by an hour or so and it will be just as good, just not AS thick :)
- 709.77 ml macaroni, uncooked
- 7.39 ml instant minced onion
- 340.19 g Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 340.19 g can low-fat evaporated milk
- 236.59 ml 1% low-fat milk
- Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
- Add remaining ingredients to cooked macaroni stirring well.
- Lightly spray crock pot with cooking spray and add macaroni mixture.
- Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring a couple of times during cooking.
I was disappointed by this recipe. For one, I would hardly call it a crock pot recipe. Most of work is done on the stove in a separate pan - using the crock pot is just an after-thought. For two, it's really uninspiring. Does it takes like mac and cheese? Sure, but it's not the jaw-dropping, gotta-have-it kind. Plus as a busy mom, I don't think as being useful. I had to put in extra spices (like pepper) to give it any kind of taste. My kids liked it, but they even weren't excited by it. That should say it all.
I made this for our Christmas potluck at work. I cooked the macaroni and mixed it all up the night before, then put in the crockpot in the morning at work and just left on the warm setting since I have a "hot" crockpot. I thought the taste was okay, but it was very sticky and clumped together by serving time. I think it was just too warm for too long. I may try this again at home when I can follow the directions more precisely. Thanks!