Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my kids favorite homemade version of mac and cheese. It does contain canned soup. If you're not a fan - don't try it! This freezes and reheats really well. I usually double this on a cooking day and it fills my 6 quart crock pot to the brim.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain. ( I usually slightly undercook them - until barely al dente).
- While noodles are cooking, combine soup, cheeses and milks in a crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked, drained noodles and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- To Freeze:.
- Cool completely. Place in freezer bags in desired serving sizes. I usually do about 3 cups per bag. Enough for lunches, etc.
- Seal and freeze.
- To Serve:.
- Thaw in fridge. Reheat in microwave or place in baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot.
2/9/2008 I made this one before and it got rave reviews. I had nothing left to freeze. I doubled the recipe tonight and I wanted to review it before we eat. I am hoping that I will have some left over. I want to put some away for Fridays this lent. ***************6/20/2010 This is still a go-to favorite for us
This was really good. DH thought it was too grainy from the extra sharp cheddar and I thought it could have been cooked a little less, but I'll definitely keep this on hand and try it with a couple of alterations (different cheeses, etc.).
Made this for Thanksgiving at the neighbors' house and it seemed to go over well. We really liked it. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because we felt it could use more seasoning in the form of salt and pepper and maybe a pinch of cayenne to kick it up a notch. Either way this has a place in my recipe book and the remainder will be headed for the freezer this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!