Recipe by JillAZ
This is my kids favorite homemade version of mac and cheese. It does contain canned soup. If you're not a fan - don't try it! This freezes and reheats really well. I usually double this on a cooking day and it fills my 6 quart crock pot to the brim.
Top Review by Chef Maria #2
2/9/2008 I made this one before and it got rave reviews. I had nothing left to freeze. I doubled the recipe tonight and I wanted to review it before we eat. I am hoping that I will have some left over. I want to put some away for Fridays this lent. ***************6/20/2010 This is still a go-to favorite for us
- 1 lb macaroni noodles
- 10 ounces condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions. Drain. ( I usually slightly undercook them - until barely al dente).
- While noodles are cooking, combine soup, cheeses and milks in a crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked, drained noodles and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- To Freeze:.
- Cool completely. Place in freezer bags in desired serving sizes. I usually do about 3 cups per bag. Enough for lunches, etc.
- Seal and freeze.
- To Serve:.
- Thaw in fridge. Reheat in microwave or place in baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot.