Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
From one of Gooseberry Patch's newest cookbooks ("Fall, Family & Friends") comes this very Southern recipe for Shrimp & Grits. Now I am not Southern (my DH is), but we both love grits. I do know this dish is very traditional in the Southeast. In a check on Amazon, I discovered a cookbook devoted ENTIRELY to shrimp & grits, can you believe it? This is an easy version to be made in the crock pot. Y'all, I haven't try it yet, but as soon as I find the grits (scarce here in the southwest) I'm going to -- DH can't wait!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small shrimp, peeled & cleaned, vein removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chicken broth, salt and grits in the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Two hours before serving, saute the peppers, onions, garlic, and shrimp in the 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add this mixture to the crock pot along with the cheeses, tomatoes with chilies, and cayenne, if using.
- Continue to cook on HIGH an additional 2 hours.