Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
From one of Gooseberry Patch's newest cookbooks ("Fall, Family & Friends") comes this very Southern recipe for Shrimp & Grits. Now I am not Southern (my DH is), but we both love grits. I do know this dish is very traditional in the Southeast. In a check on Amazon, I discovered a cookbook devoted ENTIRELY to shrimp & grits, can you believe it? This is an easy version to be made in the crock pot. Y'all, I haven't try it yet, but as soon as I find the grits (scarce here in the southwest) I'm going to -- DH can't wait!
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small shrimp, peeled & cleaned, vein removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 (10 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine chicken broth, salt and grits in the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Two hours before serving, saute the peppers, onions, garlic, and shrimp in the 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add this mixture to the crock pot along with the cheeses, tomatoes with chilies, and cayenne, if using.
- Continue to cook on HIGH an additional 2 hours.
Very nice, a little spicy for the kids but good. I will try without the chiles next time.
This is quite possibly the best shrimp and grits recipe I have ever had. I did need to add about 8oz extra chicken broth in the last hour or so, my grits were getting quite firm. Also used frozen but not precooked shrimp instead of fresh. So cheesy, so flavorful, could not get enough!
This was the first time I tried shrimp and grits doing the majority of the work in the crock pot but the flavor was absolutely delicious. I will definitely be making this again.