A quick and easy, slow-cooked lemon chicken main course dish that can be cooking on a low heat while you are at work. Vary the canned soup you use according to your preferences. And if you have a bit more time, add chopped onions and garlic, and a little more liquid. If you want your chicken to be more lemony, include some freshly squeezed lemon juice in place of some of the water and, for more flavour, add half a cup of wine. I have made this with mushrooms, chopped, instead of a range of vegetables and canned mushroom soup. When making this dish, I have always included one chopped onion and 2-3 cloves of chopped garlic. And then allowed myself a little more liquid, usually a cup of wine. Adapted from Prevention's "Eat Up Slim Down: tried-and-true recipes and tips from weight-loss winners" by Jane Kirby and David Joachim.
- Coat the chicken with lemon-pepper seasoning.
- Coat a medium-sized non-stick pan with oil and warm over a medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, turning once, for 5 minutes, or until browned on both sides.
- Place the chicken in a crock pot and add the vegetables.
- In a medium bowl, combine the soup, half a can of water, the rosemary and the mixed Italian herbs.
- Pour this mixture over the vegetables and chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.