Recipe by mary winecoff
I love all the ingredients in this simple recipe. Use any kind of ham you desire: leftover ham or slices from the deli.
Top Review by Cheri 911
Very good recipe, like earlier reviewers, I used chicken broth instead of beef, and poultry seasoning in place of sage, because that is what I had on hand. I also used fresh rosemary, and I did need to add some extra salt. I made it in the pressure cooker, because I was short on time - 20 minutes on high pressure. I sweated the vegetables first. It was quick, easy, and great served with hot buttered cornbread. Thanks for posting!
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 cups water (or as needed to cover everything by 3 inches)