2 hrs 25 mins
I wanted to make lentils on a cold winter's day, so I combined two recipes to create this one. Lentils are great tasting and so good for you. I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced (on the diagonal is pretty)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic cloves (or 3 cloves, finely chopped)
- 2 (1 lb) bags dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 lbs frozen vegetables (I like the broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot blend)
- 4 cups broth (I prefer vegetable)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook until crisp-tender (about 3-5 minutes). Add garlic and saute, being careful not to burn.
- 2Combine this with remaining ingredients in a large Crock-Pot. Cook on Low 4 hours or on High 2 hours, or until lentils are tender.
- 3Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese and finely chopped roasted red peppers. You could also serve over or stir in your favorite pasta or rice.
- 4NOTE: For more crisp-tender texture, add the frozen veggies during last 30-60 minutes of cooking time. My kids don't like the taste of celery, so I chop it very finely so that it "disappears" in the soup.
- 5For Vegetarian you must use Vegetable Broth.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Lentil Soup (Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.6
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 282.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 22.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 18.5 g