Recipe by mandabears
This is a wonderful soup to come home to on a frosty fall evening. Great with a green salad and some crusty bread. I have been known to use 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes instead of the whole tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Top Review by carmen_connolly
The whole family loved this. I did not use the tomato sauce and still had tomato goodness. My only suggestion is to add more lentils than listed. I'll make this again with 3 cups lentils!!
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped ham, i use smoked sausage
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, in my house this is (optional)
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar