Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
My family loved this -- so easy and so good and it is a WW recipe too - 8 points/serving. Recipe source: Weight Watchers.com
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I used very lean ground beef with only 4% fat but I think this will also work with ground turkey too)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, crushed
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese, shredded (I used WW mozzarella)
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown beef, onion and garlic, stirring to break up beef (5-10 minutes) until meat is brown.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients (tomatoes - red pepper flakes) and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl combine ricotta and 1 cup of the mozzarella.
- Spoon 1/3 of the tomato/beef mixture into crock pot. Break 3 lasagna noodles in half and arrange on top of tomato/beef mixture and top with half of the ricota mixture. Repeat with second layer. Finish with the remaining 1/3 of the meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- In a small bowl combine remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over meat mixture and set aside for 10 minutes or until cheese melts and lasagna is firm (10 minutes or so).
I have been looking for a recipe like this, a hearty home cooked recipe that tastes like the lasagna my mom would bake on a Sunday. This smelled just like hers! The spices were perfect, the noodles were baked just right and the cheeses melted perfectly! I did make some changes... I used ground turkey instead of beef, and Low Fat Italian blended cheeses... (I LOVE different cheeses!) I might play it up next time with some added spices, but overall very good! I also froze some of it since there are only 2 of us. So I am not sure how it freezes, but will be finding out here soon! I LOVE trying out all these WW recipes!!! On to the next! :)
This was really easy and really yummy. I wasn't prepared for the noodles to be SO done. It wasnt a problem, I still liked the recipe. I shut my crockpot off about 15 minutes before serving it and kept lid on and it sliced up nice and kept together fairly well. I used ground turkey and added au jus to it to make it beefier tasting for the whiners in my family. Im giving it 4 stars because I like my noodles a little closer to al dente but the flavor was great!
I doubled this recipe and made it in my large crock pot to make freezer meals. I used half beef and half a veal/pork mix that I often use in meatballs, meatloaves etc.. I added two leeks and proportionally (about double) more onion and garlic as we love the blend of onion, garlic and leek. I omitted the red pepper flakes (personal taste preferences: zero tolerance of anything hot and spicy) and so added a couple of extra herbs (rosemary and thyme). I used low fat ricotta but regular mozzarella: I just cannot abide low-fat cheeses apart from the soft cheeses like ricotta, feta and cottage cheese. Smelt divine while cooking and the sample I tried was delicious. The pasta was soft naturally but not mushy or slimy as another reviewer found. For anyone planning on making pasta crock pot recipes often, it would be worth checking out several brands to determine which are crock pot friendly. Thanks for this easy and flavoursome recipe, ellie_. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.