Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Lamb, barley and root vegetables are made for a slow cooker, blending their flavors into a delicious stew. This is another great recipe from the BHG Slow Cooker Recipes book.
- 1 lb lamb stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, sliced 1/2 ", thick
- 3 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 2⁄3 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Place the meat, onion, turnips and carrots in the crock pot.
- Stir in the broth, beer, barley and all seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in the parsley before serving.
delicious! i love barley and lamb so this was a no fail recipe, plus being able to throw it all in the crockpot before going to work is an added bonus! the only change i made was to sub the turnip for 2 potatoes which i cut into chunks and added. this is a keeper
Absolutely love this recipe! We served it with pickled red cabbage which cuts through the richness of the lamb perfectly. Also some crusty bread to sop up the lovely juices!!! Yum!
Lovely recipe, I used Guinness instead of the dark beer and served it with creamy mashed potato, which was very well received by the whole family. Also the smell wafting through the house all afternoon as it cooked was fabulous. Thank you x