Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Slow Cooker Indian vegetarian breakfast porridge
Make and share this Crock Pot Kitchari recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups yellow split mung dal
- 6 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup white basmati rice, rinsed
- whole wheat tortillas or chapati, for serving
- Rince the dal and remove any debris. Combine the dal and 6 cups of the water in the slow cooker.
- In a medium size skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the ground spices, cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, just to heat and gently toast them. Stir into the dal and add the bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours. The mixture will be soupy.
- In a blender or small food processor, combine the ginger, coconut, cilantro, and remaining 1/2 cup of water and process until smooth. Add to the cooker along with the rice, cover, and cook on LOW until the rice is tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer.
- Remove the bay leaf and season with salt. Serve the soup hot in bowls with some warm whole wheat tortillas or chapatis.