Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Here's a great crock pot recipe for keilbasa lovers. Serve with hot bread and a salad.
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low-fat chicken broth
- 6 ounces dry pinto beans, picked through
- 6 ounces dried split peas, picked through
- 16 ounces kielbasa, split in half and sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Place all the ingredients except the tomatoes in a crockpot.
- Cook on low for 7 hours.
- Add the diced tomatoes with juice and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Added note-as one reviewer found out, if you add the tomatoes to the crockpot at the begining of the recipe, your beans will remain hard and uncooked.
I give it only a 4 b/c of how overpowering the Thyme was to me, but my husband could not stop talking about how much he loved this recipe. (My beans turned out fine.)
Although this soup is very filling and great tasting I soaked the beans overnight just to be on the safe side and the beans were still a bit undercooked but this could be because I live at high altitude and always need to make adjustments for that. Next time I think I will pre-cook the beans just a bit before putting them in the crockpot to commensate for the high altitude. Thanks for sharing!
Delicious! I made this during a huge snowstorm; and there is nothing better than the aroma of cooking soup filling up your house on a cold, snowy day. And sitting down and eating this hot, hearty soup was even better. The best part was how easy it was to make; no precooking of meat, no soaking of beans. Thanks for posting; it's a definite keeper, snow or no snow.