Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Diana Rattray, Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine, this is the easy way to make jerk chicken! This is a Caribbean recipe and a southern one.
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger)
- 1⁄4-1 habanero pepper, seeded, deveined, finely minced (wear gloves-you may adjust this to what heat level you want)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (or balsamic)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 3 -4 lbs chicken tenders
- Combine onion and ginger in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add remaining ingredients, except chicken, and pulse until well blended.
- Place chicken in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker and cover with sauce.
- Cover, set on low, and cook for 6-8 hours, or until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours on high. Enjoy!