Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is maybe not the Authentic way of cooking Jambalaya but I prepared it for a family Mothers day party alongside Deep fried Turkey and everyone seemed to like it
- 5 skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage (Sliced)
- 1 lb prawns (Cooked)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 yellow pepper (chopped)
- 4 celery ribs (diced)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 15 baby corn (chopped)
- 2 red chilies (seeded & finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 (800 ml) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 450 ml beef stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice (Cooked)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons frying oil (Groundnut)
- Heat 1/2 the oil in a wok until just about smoking & fry chicken until light golden (approx 5 mins), add to crock pot.
- Combine Chopped Green, Red, Yellow Peppers, Chopped Onion, Chopped Garlic, Sliced Celery & chopped Red Chilli's, heat the remaining oil & fry until Semi soft, add to crock pot.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, herbs & spices to the Crock pot except for the Rice & Prawns give it a good stir.
- Cook on Medium for 6 Hours.
- 20 Mins from end add the hot cooked rice (Electric Rice cookers are a wonderful thing)& the Prawns.
I made this Jambalaya and we all loved it. I didn't add all the cayenne pepper at once as DH isn't nuts about hot'n'spicy. Used regular frozen corn rather than baby corn chopped. Excellent. My crock pot was too small so finished on the stove top. Next time I make it, I'll cut it in half.