Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs 45 mins
A great stew to make in the crock pot. Any suggestions for adding more flavor? It tasted a little bland the first time I made it.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup canned white beans
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1⁄2 lb lean boneless round steak, cut
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup spinach, torn
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni (cooked)
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- Combine first ten ingredients (water thru garlic) in a Crock-pot. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 6 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Add zucchini and next 4 ingredients (zucchini thru nutmeg)cover and cook on high an additional 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Now add the pasta and stir for 2 minutes till pasta is heated thru.
- Top with cheese before serving.