Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 9 hrs
I was looking for a nice and easy hot soup recipe for a cold winter day, but one that would be ready when I came home from work. I found this one in Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook. It is so yummy and flavorful! And it couldn't be any easier! You can sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the top, or add other vegetables. We loved it just the way it is, and served with a fresh, crusty loaf of bread.... Mmm.
- 3 small carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried basil (or use fresh)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, undrained
- 3 cups beef stock
- 14 1⁄2 ounces stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- Layer carrots, onions, potatoes, parsley, garlic, basil, salt, pepper and kidney beans in slow cooker.
- Do not stir.
- Add beef stock.
- Cover; cook on Low 8-9 hours, or on High 4 1/2-5 1/2 hours, until vegetables are tender.
- Turn slow cooker to high.
- Stir in tomatoes and ham.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Wonderful soup for a chilly fall day. Nice combination of flavors! I omitted the additional salt due to the ham and broth which worked well for us. The family liked it a lot and it was perfect dinner for a busy work day so I'll keep this one handy! Thanks Whisper.