Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Taken from busycooks.about.com. This updated version of Italian sausage and peppers cooks in the crockpot.
- 2 lbs Italian turkey sausage
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook turkey sausage in heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, turning occasionally.
- Layer half of the onions on bottom of 3-4 quart crockpot, then add half of the peppers.
- Add all of the browned turkey sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers.
- Add bay leaves and other spices.
- Combine diced undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, and red wine in small bowl and mix well to blend.
- Pour over mixture in crockpot.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.