Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A wonderful recipe from The Big Red Kitchen. A large 6 quart oval crock pot is required, but may, also, be baked in a low oven until the cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through. Good for shopping days, Mardi Gras, etc.
- 1 oval loaf artisan bread, make sure it fits into your crock pot
- 18 slice provolone cheese
- 18 slice virginia ham
- 18 slice sweet capicola or 18 slice hot capicola
- 18 slice genoa salami
- sweet pepper rings, drained well to prevent sogginess (pickled banana peppers)
- red onion, thin slices
- olive oil
- Slice bread 13 times, almost all the way through but leaving 1/2 inch space at the bottom.
- On a flat surface, layer three slices of cheese and top with 3 slices each of ham, Capicola and Salami. Top with pepper rings and onions. Sprinkle with oregano and basil and repeat 5 times.
- Fold each bundle in half and tuck (folded side towards the bottom) down between every other slice of bread to create 6 sandwiches. The sandwich may have "arched" its back, gently push down and wrap tightly in one large piece of foil then a second piece of heavy foil.
- Place in crock pot on top of a small aluminum foil pan or balls of foil so it does not touch bottom of insert. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- Remove foil-wrapped sandwich from crock pot. To serve, cut each sandwich apart, drizzle the insides lightly with olive oil. Makes six sandwiches with the center two being quite generous in size.
- Note: Depending on the size of your loaf, you may not need all the meat and cheese as the sandwiches on the ends are a bit smaller and will not hold as much.