4 hrs 20 mins
A wonderful recipe from The Big Red Kitchen. A large 6 quart oval crock pot is required, but may, also, be baked in a low oven until the cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through. Good for shopping days, Mardi Gras, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 oval loaf artisan bread, make sure it fits into your crock pot
- 18 slices provolone cheese
- 18 slices virginia ham
- 18 slices sweet capicola or 18 slices hot capicola
- 18 slices genoa salami
- sweet pepper rings, drained well to prevent sogginess (pickled banana peppers)
- red onion, thin slices
- olive oil
- 1Slice bread 13 times, almost all the way through but leaving 1/2 inch space at the bottom.
- 2On a flat surface, layer three slices of cheese and top with 3 slices each of ham, Capicola and Salami. Top with pepper rings and onions. Sprinkle with oregano and basil and repeat 5 times.
- 3Fold each bundle in half and tuck (folded side towards the bottom) down between every other slice of bread to create 6 sandwiches. The sandwich may have "arched" its back, gently push down and wrap tightly in one large piece of foil then a second piece of heavy foil.
- 4Place in crock pot on top of a small aluminum foil pan or balls of foil so it does not touch bottom of insert. Cover and cook on low for 2-4 hours.
- 5Remove foil-wrapped sandwich from crock pot. To serve, cut each sandwich apart, drizzle the insides lightly with olive oil. Makes six sandwiches with the center two being quite generous in size.
- 6Note: Depending on the size of your loaf, you may not need all the meat and cheese as the sandwiches on the ends are a bit smaller and will not hold as much.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crock Pot Italian Hoagies
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 85.5 mg
- Sodium 1228.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 27.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: