Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Wonderful roast for Italian Beef sandwiches. Not for salt restricted diets, but exceptional flavor. The original recipe calls for beef roast and pepperocini only, but I have tweaked it to suit my taste. Try it, you'll love it! (Preparation time does not include cook time.) Also, adjust seasoning to your taste, add onion, mushrooms or whatever you like.
- 3 -4 lbs rump roast or 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 24 ounces pepperoncini peppers, including half of juice
- 1 ounce au jus mix
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon bottled garlic (or equivalent)
- 6 -8 hoagie rolls, for serving
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Place roast, pepperocini and half the pepperocini juice in crockpot.
- Mix water, au jus, oregano, basil and garlic in measuring cup and pour over roast.
- Cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours.
- When roast is tender, pull apart with forks and let simmer in juice another 1/2 hour or so.
- Serve on toasted Hoagie rolls with cheese, pepperocini and juice from pan for dipping.