I combined three delicious recipes to make one out of this world sandwich! To make it less spicy, seed the pepperoncini and replace some of the juice with water.
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 onion, sliced
- 7 pepperoncini peppers, de-stemmed, reserve 2 cups pepperoncini juice from jar
- 2 teaspoons beef stock or 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, sliced
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Put the beef in the crock pot and sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients (including pepperoncini juice) EXCEPT the last five, stir, and cook on high for three hours.
- Coarsely shred beef with a fork and cook an additional hour.
- While beef is finishing up, toast bread.
- Cut garlic clove in half and rub on 4 slices of bread and then spread butter on them.
- Spread mayonnaise on the remaining 4 slices, top with cheese.
- Broil all the slices of bread until cheese is melted.
- Spoon meat and peppers with juices on to garlic-buttered bread slices. Top with cheese-mayo bread slices.
This was so delicious! I only made a couple of changes: 1 1/2 Tbsp of Italian Seasoning instead of the oregano and parsley, and I cooked it on low in the crock pot for about six hours. Then, realizing we had plans for dinner that night at my in-laws I moved it to the fridge for the next night. I heated this in the crock-pot on high for about an hour after slicing the meat super thin. I used a cast iron skillet to super-heat the meat when we were ready to eat, cooking it in some of the juice. We topped the meat in the pan with some american cheese slices and added some juice to the pan then covered to melt the cheese. The buns were toasted in the oven and smeared with mayo and dijon mustard. They were absolutely fantastic! One of the best dishes I've made in a long LONG time.
Thanks so much for sharing!!
We really enjoyed this recipe. Rich with flavor & quite satisfying. I did saute green peppers in place of the pepperoncini peppers just because that was what I had.
We loved this combo of Italian Beef & Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. This is a very adaptable recipe and I made a few changes. I used a 1.5 lb. beef sirloin roast (increased cooking time to @ 6 hrs. on high); also subbed half a packet of Good Seasons Italian Seasoning mix for some of the spices. Subbed white American cheese for the jack as that is what I had on hand. Also used Telera rolls as that is all I had--will try with sourdough or hoagies next time. Turned out delicious--even better the next day. Thanks for a keeper, Picholine.