Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Easy to put together, delicious in a dish or on a sandwich, it's hard to find meals this good for so little effort. My grandparents gave me this recipe when I moved out on my own, as part of a binder full of my favorite meals, and now it's often requested by by husband and son.
- 2 cups beef broth or 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix (can use Zesty Italian too)
- 2 -5 lbs beef roast, weight depending on your needs (trust me, it works as well with 2 as it does with 5)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into rings
- 1 bell pepper, sliced into strips (green, red, or one of each)
- sliced provolone cheese, if desired
- 1 loaf nice crusty bread, if desired
- pepperoncini pepper, if desired
- Place the roast in your crock pot.
- In a small saucepan, mix first 8 ingredients (broth through dressing mix) and bring to a boil.
- Pour the boiling mixture over the roast, quickly put the lid on to trap in the heat.
- Cook on high for one hour, then either turn on low for the next 7 to 11 hours (more time for larger roasts) or keep on high for 3 to 5 hours.
- 30 to 60 minutes before completion of cooking, add onions and peppers. Re-lid, and cook remainder of time.
- When done, remove roast to a large dish or bowl and shred meat with forks, making sure the bay leaf didn't also transfer over.
- Serve either on a plate or use segments of the crusty bread cut horizontally to make sandwiches (recommended).
- Top with sliced provolone, which should melt somewhat from the heat of the beef, and /or pepperoncini if desired.